Friday, June 3, 2011

bad Mom stories

Every so often one of those things happen that you just shake your head and thank your lucky stars that nothing terrible resulted. 

Not long after returning with Nathaniel at some point during the night Isaac, then a few months shy of 4 years old, made his way into the bathroom, opened the gentian violet solution (or at least that is how it appeared) and went back to bed.  Gentian violet is a very dark purple solution used to treat thrush in infants.  When I next went to the bathroom I found the solution smeared all over the cabinet.  In terror, I went to find Isaac, who had a very purple mouth and dribbles and splotches down his pyjamas.  In reality, he wasn't actually able to open the bottle, just dislodge the lid enough to get a sufficient quantity out to cause some panic.  So I was thankful, first, that Isaac had not become ill from ingesting more gentian violet than recommended, and second, that the purple staining was isolated and NOT thoroughout the house!  He had a purple mouth for a while, but no harm done.  He still remembers it and Nathaniel now wears the stained Diego pjs and the story is legendary.  And of course, I no longer leave such things out on the vanity!

Today, I had a similar episode with Nathaniel.  Nathaniel has an interest in doctors and anything doctorlike.  Arn got the boys a real first aid kit shaped like a doctor's bag.  It isn't meant to be a toy.  It is meant to be used for accidents and emergencies.  Well...since we have been home on the occassions that Nathaniel has asked for a bandaid I have been sending him to the kit to get his own.  He had done this several times before without incident.  Well, today he holed himself up in an area where we have a table and some chairs and pillows that has accidentally become the fort zone, and started to investigate the contents of the kit more exactingly.  To be honest, I knew he was there with it, but he was happy and quiet.  When he surfaced with a unwound length of gauze I began to realize my error.  I got a bit more worried when I told him he'd have to throw it out when he was done and he answered..'okay, but it is all wet'.  Wet?  I got down on my knees to investigate.  The floor was covered with miniature styrofoam beads and not only the guaze was wet, so was Nathaniel!  Who knew one vial of sterile eye rinse could saturate so much of a 4 year old?  The styrofoam was from a cut open hot/cold pack (I found myself telling him...but it says...do not puncture!!!  but the boy, of course, can't read just yet.)  The real source of my dismay was Trinh, playing nearby, and the fear she might get something harmul in her mouth.  So for now, the play doctor stuff has made it's way into the kit and the real accident and emergency supplies are in a very professional looking zip lock bag!

sorry...no photos!

2 comments:

  1. A similar incident happened to me about a month ago. We're usually really good at having dangerous stuff safely tucked away. But one day I inadvertently left out a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. Van discovered it in the bathroom and managed to unscrew the top. I realized he was very quiet and when I went to investigate I discovered him pouring it in the bath tub. I of course freaked because I couldn't tell if he had swallowed any. I checked him over and sniffed his mouth about about 100 times. He had no idea what was wrong. Thankfully he was fine but I felt awful and had a good cry over it. Luckily he's not an oral child (doesn't put unknown things in his mouth). I'm glad I'm not the only parent who has made this kind of mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have pjs stained with gentian violet! They bring back so many good memories though!

    ReplyDelete