Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Adoption update

So last night I had one of my book club meetings.  Today an email from a friend.  On the weekend past a phonecall.  Everyone wants to know about our adoption.  My, it's been a long wait.  And it ain't over yet!

I know enough people with referrals, waiting to travel, to be gun-shy on getting our referral.  Things have been slow-slow-slowing down between referral and travel.  Mostly, I think, this is because of some happenings in the international adoption arena, of which I am becoming more aware.  There are some pretty opposite views out there about how legitimate the majority of infant orphans are.  There are some pretty convincing arguments.  Yet for the legitimately orphaned infants, there are equally compelling arguments for their speeding placement in permanent homes, either domestically or internationally.  The main source of contention is the 'demand' for these infant orphans.  This isn't a case of finding homes for children, just look at the length of time adoptive parents wait.  This is finding children for homes.  This, especially when $ come into the formula, invites trouble.

No one at our Agency can really predict when our adoption might happen.  At this point even if the Agency asked me when I want a referral I wouldn't know what to say.  I'm confused and just trying to put it out of my mind and wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment