While we are in Vietnam I hope to visit our sponsored daughter who is 7 or 8 and spend some time with the older kids who will likely grow to adolescence in the orphanage. There is spotty information out there about what makes good, useful, approriate donations on such an occassion. Some take money to donate outright or to buy supplies once they have arrived in Vietnam to donate. While I don't want to haul too much stuff, I am hoping to put together a small collection of things to take along. Since it is impossible to get information on how many kids, ages or genders, I'm thinking of generic items that can be distributed or kept for use as a group. So far I have collected:
4 packs of 24 crayola pencil crayons with sharpeners
4 10 packs of 'canadian school approved' hp yellow pencils
2 packs of 4 white pearl erasers
I am also taking a large Gymboree parachute that was donated and a 60 pack of crayola pencil crayons and a 50 pack of crayola markers in the hopes that (with a few additional consumable supplies) we can, maybe, spend some time playing and doing some arts and crafts with the kids. We will leave these things behind for them as well. I like Crayola because the factory is actually in the town where I grew up!
I have a few items specifically for our sponsored daugther, and will probably get some kind of treat that she can share with the others, probably some kind of halloween candy - individually wrapped.
If you have suggestions for items to add to my collection, or activities where language isn't an issue, I'd love to hear them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I always wondered if they would be interested in books with Canadian landscapes.
ReplyDeleteWhat about silly putty or play dough?...Is your sponsored daughter also in the south?
ReplyDeleteYes, she is in VT. In the spring I was able to send a book (I thought it was a good idea too, Sandra) with lots of local pictures for her to see. I posted about that in March called 'surprise'. I will watch for playdough to go on sale and maybe pick some up.
ReplyDelete