I posted the following story on facebook and received lots of appreciated responses back. Honestly, it wasn't a traumatic experience or anything...but worth sharing for the inevitable moment when my fellow adoptive parents may encounter a similarly odd/rude/ignorant comment or question.
This weekend while out with the kids a woman said to me:
'Are those all your real kids?'
...to which I answered 'Yes'
... to which she responded 'because kids belong with their real parents'
I was gonna ignore that but Isaac said 'What did she ask?' So I responded to him...loud enough for her to hear 'If you are my real kids and I'm your real parent and the last time I checked, yes, you are all real kids and I am all of your real Mom.' That ended that, and the kids had a little chuckle. Sometimes I answer these odd queries with 'why do you ask?' but didn't have the energy to educate today. Perhaps had the question come from a younger woman who might have been considering adoption I would have shown more compassion. Hopefully she wasn't someone who had a negative personal experience with adoption...in which case I guess I could have come off as the ignorant one.
Anyhow, since then I've been wondering about that 'ALL' part of the comment, which I hadn't noticed so much at first. So I've gone from a 'both your kids' person to an 'ALL your kids'. Funny how little things sometime catch you unaware.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment