In the paperwork we received is mention of listing 4 people that could be contacted to confirm details about us. Are these allowed to be family? Do they need to know both spouses equally well? Do they need to reach all four of these people? Just wondering how high of an alert to give these folks not to leave their phones!
About those gifts...the $ amounts specified for orphanage director ($75) and vice director ($50) ...are we to give them money...or bring a gift of that value? If it's a gift - recommendations of what to take or avoid? What about gifts for TDH staff in Vietnam ($35)? Other suggestions for gifts?
I hope to visit our sponsored daughter who is 7 or 8 years old and also spend some time with the other older children. Any suggestions for what to take for them?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I did not see this in the docs I received from TDH...(four people to contact)
ReplyDeleteIt is for the citizenship...so different since you are doing permanent resident process first.
ReplyDeleteWe bought Thui (TDH staff in Hanoi) a necklace from a local jewelry store, a Vancouver Olympics sweater for the director of the orphanage (a man), a Body Shop gift pack for the assistant director (a woman) and we gave Thui cash to split among the nannies (suggested).
ReplyDeleteI can't remember exactly but I do know I gave my Principal's number because I knew she would be available for the majority of the Canadian working day. They did call. Can't remember who else I listed...
ReplyDeleteThe 4 people can't be family, they have to be friends or co-workers. If I remember from 2 years ago, those who had been contacted when we adopted Logan got the phone call around 10 pm (time difference of 12 hours).
ReplyDeleteI got all that paper work to fill out last weekend (2nd email) and can't wait for offices to reopen next week, maybe we will get a date to travel soon? Can't wait to hold my son in my arms!
As far as the gifts go for the director and the vice-director, your amounts are right. I was told they like beauty products (perfumes, body care stuff). I bought earings for Loan.
ReplyDeleteHi Sharon, I just realized you are blogging??...anyhow they did contact two of my references...I sent emails to the 4, one, my lawyer, and another colleague....I reminded them of details of the adoption and some details of my work life etc....they were asked about why I was in Vietnam etc...how we know each other etc...but not too indepth...just basically to confirm that I am who I am??
ReplyDeleteas for gifts, my understanding was that you put the money in envelopes with names and give to Loan who will distribute...did not go quite that way for me, but would have preferred it...
ReplyDeletesorry, Francesca...I thought you had been following all along...
ReplyDeleteYes - it says money for the nannies, but for the TDH staff, orphanage director and vice director it has suggested amounts but isn't clear if you are meant to give money or a gift in that price range?
Sharon, it was suggested that we buy gifts in the price range...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Meg. That's how I interpreted it too. But now that I want to take only one suitcase I am scrutenizing each item...
ReplyDelete