Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Got an early start and headed straight to the museum at the zoo, a short walk from the HCMC Somerset (it opens at 8am). I was actually pleasantly surprised as my memory of this museum from the last trip was pretty basic and boring. But now it seems quite well laid out, progressing through historical periods as you walk. And, there are several little shops along the way to browse through. I didn't see the water puppets here this time, but it was up and running.

From there took a cab to the Fine Art Museum (97AD Pho Duc Chinh). Worth noting, both museums are closed Mondays and the one at the zoo closes over lunch. Both admission is very cheap. 10,000 dong for the Fine Art Museum.

The Fine Art Museum is worth a walk through, but go early in the day as it is 4 floors with no A/C. Ok for kids as everything is in clear boxes or high up. Not far from there (take a right out of the museum gates), along Le Cong Kieu, is an artsy shopping area (real budhas and antiques) - fun to look at but you can't take antiques out of Vietnam.

We walked from here, by the Ben Thanh Market (can get a photo of the clock tower from this side) and up to the Rex hotel to see what the roof garden restaurant was all about. V was right...go for a drink to see the place and the view...but really quite expensive to eat. I think it would be nice to go here at dusk as it is quite exposed to the sun and would be nice to see the night time city come alive. The icecream in coconut was yummy here, and they bring the juice from the coconut in a glass.

Back to the hotel...Trinh is suffering from her second bottom tooth coming in. Gave her some tylenol and see is resting in her bed. Finishing up as much packing as I can. Loan coming at 3 for goodbyes and also to meet Patti who is coming for a swim at 4pm. Planning to say goodbye to the Somerset with a pizza and beer tonight, bed early as possible for me (Trinh always in bed by 7) as we need to be out of the hotel at 5:30am and enroute to the airport.

Can hardly believe it...

All sentimental...

Walking today I came across 3 women and 3 young children, dirty, crouching on the street 30 meters or so from a Highland Cafe and they so looked at Trinh and I and our thoughts were so transparent to each other...the children who remain, the children who are offered up to adoption. I can't put it into words right now, but as I was walking away the emotions were high.

And then, to see the crowd outside the Highland Cafe, to feel the luxurious breeze of the A/C as it spilled out the door, the juxtoposition of the haves and the have nots was so brutally apparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment